Tartu International Kindergarten is fully accredited by the International Baccalaureate Organization to teach the Primary Years Programme (PYP). It is an international curriculum that focuses on the child as an inquirer who studies the world in a transdisciplinary way. This means that the children focus on issues that span subject areas. The kindergarten implements the PYP curriculum from ages 3 to 6.
There are six transdisciplinary themes and every year students focus on four of them:
- Who we are: Inquiry into ourselves; our beliefs and values; families and friends.
- Where we are in place and time: Inquiry into orientation in place and time; personal histories; homes and journeys; the discoveries, explorations and migrations of humankind; the relationship between and the interconnectedness of individuals and civilizations, from local and global perspectives.
- How we express ourselves: Inquiry into the ways in which we discover and express ideas, feelings, nature, culture, beliefs and values; the ways in which we reflect on, extend and enjoy our creativity; our appreciation of the aesthetic.
- How the world works: Inquiry into the natural world and its laws, the interaction between the natural world (physical and biological) and human societies; how humans use their understanding of scientific principles; the impact of scientific and technological advances on society and on the environment.
- How we organize ourselves: Inquiry into the interconnectedness of human-made systems and communities; the structure and function of organizations; societal decision-making; economic activities and their impact on humankind and the environment.
- Sharing the planet: Inquiry into rights and responsibilities in the struggle to share finite resources with other people and other living things; communities and the relationship within and between them; access to equal opportunities; peace and conflict resolution.
IB Learner Profile
We encourage our kindergarten students to be:
- Inquirers: I want to find out new things and ask questions.
- Knowledgeable: I know a lot about the world around me.
- Thinkers: I find ways to solve problems.
- Communicators: I share my ideas and listen to others.
- Principled: I respect others and do the right things.
- Open-minded: I value diversity and accept that we aren’t all the same.
- Caring: I care about others and their feelings.
- Risk-takers: I don’t give up, when facing a challenge.
- Balanced: I take care of myself.
- Reflective: I understand my strengths and weaknesses.
You can find Tartu International Kindergarten’s Programme of Inquiry here.